POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : f_noise3d/isosurface question : Re: f_noise3d/isosurface question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: f_noise3d/isosurface question
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 31 Jan 2005 14:27:38
Message: <cjameshuff-0D7CA7.14273931012005@news.povray.org>
In article <41FC85EB.F2421F3A@arkady.demon.co.uk>,
 Bernard Hatt <bmh### [at] arkadydemoncouk> wrote:

> Thanks for the info, looking at the discussion and the code it is
> quite a complex problem...

There are two similar problems. One is a discontinuity in the second
derivative of the noise function at points on the lattice...this one is
fixed, as far as I know. The second problem is more fundamental, a
lattice of points with values near 0.5 (maybe not exact, due to the way
POV transforms the output range of the noise function)...all POV-Ray's
noise generators have this problem, and it is not "fixable".

> I can't help feeling there must be an algorithm which doesn't suffer
> from these problems, I might have a play around and see if I can
> find one..

There are algorithms that don't suffer from the lattice artifact. I've
been polishing up a patch that implements one of them, the Lewis sparse
convolution noise algorithm. However, there is a tradeoff in speed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/